As the capital city of Zanzibar, Stone Town is a beautiful city that features rich history, distinctive architecture, and a center of art and culture.
The meandering alleyways and streets lead visitors on a wondrous whirlwind, surrounded by architecture that is a unique combination of Arab, Persian, Indian, and European influences.
Stone Town is also known for its intricately carved doors, which continues to be a hallmark of the winding streets.
The streets are also lined with vendors selling their wares, from vibrant fabrics and dresses, to intricate jewelry and carvings, as well as fragrant spices and soaps.
The list of things to do in Stone Town is truly limitless. For additional options throughout the island, check out our Island Excursions page.
Things to Do in Stone Town
- Shop in the Maasai Markets in the interconnecting alleyways of the city.
- Visit the Old Fort.
- Visit the Forodhani Gardens and catch a bite.
- Check out the spice market.
- Take a boat out to nearby Prison Island.
- Take a walking tour of the downtown.